Sunday 12 April 2020

Roses are Blood Red by Novoneel Chakraborty: a review

It took me around 6 months to come up with a review for this book because it took me that much time to wrap my head around this. Out of all the books I have read by the author, Roses Are Blood Red made me feel something different, no kidding. It is one such book that I never wanted to review, in the first place, but then I knew that I had to, for myself, if not anything else. So, here I am. Roses Are Blood Red by Novoneel Chakraborty.

About the Book: 'I'll give you a love story that every girl desires, but few get to live.' He'd told me once. And boy, did he stick to his words! Vanav Thakur is the perfect boyfriend that any girl can have. He ticks every box you can ever have for your Mr Right. Trust me on this. He cares for me, respects me, never objectified me, never says no to me for anything, understands me, is progressive and has no shadow of any male chauvinism in him. Sometimes, I wonder if I really deserve him. My parents, like me, had no option but to accept him as my boyfriend. Everything was hunky-dory and I thought I would be that one girl who would never have any relationship hiccup until I stumbled upon the reason behind his perfection. I'm Aarisha Shergill and my life is about to get ripped apart because I should have known some things should be left alone. Is love capable of healing the deep wounds which love itself creates within you? Mysteriously thrilling in its essence, Roses Are Blood Red is the haunting story of passion and eternal love. 

Roses Are Blood Red by Novoneel Chakraborty | Impact News India

When the last line of the blurb says that it is a haunting story, it couldn't have been truer. If I, even after so many months, could remember every single part of the story and feel like I have lived through it, trust me, you could too. The book starts off simple but quickly gains pace. I remember my exact feeling when I finished the book back then, "Why was this book ever written?" Well, I guess I have the answer to it now - for people like me to be hung up on it till date.

Vanav and Aarisha - you will know that something is off but so on about them that I can't even put to words right now. But then again, slowly and steadily, you tend to feel yourself in the story and start loving it in your own sweet way. As the story moves on, this hauntingly beautiful layered tale leaves questions for the mind and answers to those questions as well. As usual, the typical Novoneel style reflects in the book when you are in the midst of the day and the book disturbs you, warming you up at the same time.

I understand how contradictory I might be sounding right now but that is how the book has made me feel. If you ask me about my favourite character then I would have to mention Samiha. Why you ask? Well, I would like you to read the book to find you. Coming to the narration, it really felt like I am reading a Novoneel book after a long time. By the end of the book, you are left speechless (or at least I was) and that is the beauty of the book.

It had quotes and it had feelings, all teamed up in one; making it one of the best books I have read from the author. Talking about the flaws, well, let's not get there with this one at least. I made it past these months and finally gathered enough courage to write the review and publish it even, doesn't it say something at least?

To, more from the author...

No comments:

Post a Comment