Thursday 11 October 2018

The Best Couple Ever by Novoneel Chakraborty: a review

With the announcement of the 10th anniversary edition of his debut book, bestselling writer Novoneel Chakraborty also announced his 12th book The Best Couple Ever. Just after the announcement of the book, his readers were baffled as the book mentions three couples (with names typical Novoneel style) contending to the be the Best Couple Ever. This, along with the blurb of the book couldn't have been a better story…



About the book- Do you flaunt your happy moments in the form of filtered photographs on Facebook, Instagram, etc.? Do you and your partner set relationship goals for others on social media? Do you make people jealous of the perfect life you are living? Do you portray yourself as a forever-happy person to your social media followers? Do you think you are a cyber-world aspiration? If no, then chill. If yes, then congrats! You are their next target.

Chakraborty himself is extremely active on social media about his books and his shows and his travel and everything in between. So, what made him write this book? A quick chat with the author revealed it was the strong social message it carries. Novoneel has the power to push me down the cliff and hold me up. That is a reason why I cannot stop myself from starting to read his books the very moment I hold it in my hands for the first time. This book, after all these years, was no different.

The cover of the book was what attracted me to begin with. The answer to the book is there in the cover itself. When I met the characters for the first time, I couldn't help but fall for them. Imagine an over ambitious woman who lives by the money of her husband. Oh wait. Or live in partners? You're already imagining? Let me help you fuel your imagination more. A super wonderful woman and her super wonderful husband. You want more? Imagine the best couple ever. That's Dhriti, Satyam, Kashvi, Parth, Sanisha and Adhik!

And they are not the only ones. In one of the most character books that has been written by the author, this one falls clean and sturdy. From the first page to the last, I couldn't help but keep reading the book even though I was using an extremely new bookmark which I had kept specifically for this one. My favorite of his characters out of this book? He asks. Of course Kshay. I beam! And he knows and only smirks at my answer. The typical Novoneel smirk.

The story revolves around these 3 couples and there's one hidden mystery in the book. The book has it all. Murder. Sex. Thrill. Mystery. Love. Divided into two parts, the second part actually is something that the author has written for the first time. And as for a first attempt, this is brilliant. I would want the author to write more like the second part of the book. The seamless transition of one story to another and how these three stories merge at one deserves a standing ovation. In also a very typical Novoneel way, he leads on to make the readers think something while the end is something completely different. I love how the author controls the minds of his readers. A feat not many can achieve.  

“One of those things you say!” - you might tell me after reading this review (and trust me! God! You NEED to read this book NOW to find out what I mean by the above line). Ashwamedha has been a role model throughout the book and by the end of the book you'll also consider him as one. One of the best parts about the book is that by the end of the book, Novoneel explains why the book was written and what the book actually means. This doesn't mean you'll read the last page first.

Having read and reviewed all his previous 11 books till date, after reading this I realized that this was what I was talking about all these years. This book is the reason why I adore his writing style and everything in his books but have always refrained from giving full marks. This one has everything I've always wanted from a Novoneel book and I will be so discriminating if I hold back the full marks now. This one's to a mind blowing book, a wonderful plot and stupendofantabulousticallyfantastic characters. This one's 5 on 5! 

No comments:

Post a Comment