Thursday 6 September 2018

Hope and Sunshine by Debasmita Nath Ghosh: a review

When there's love there is hope. When there's hope there has to be sunshine. And only my closest people would know that I'm saying this from a very personal perspective. Debasmita Nath Ghosh’s debut work, Hope and Sunshine made me go back to a lot of memories. The cover is bright and chirpy and it attracts the readers to the book.

About the book- Naina Grover has an imperfectly perfect life, or is it perfectly imperfect? A Punjabi kudi from Delhi working in the city of joy, Kolkata is joined by her crazy cousin, Arjun and his sober friend Aditya to come of age while at a long-distance relationship which seems to be going nowhere. She knows it's a recipe for disaster but should she let go or not? Should she hope for the best? Hope she will be accepted? Hope she can settle down? Hope she can come to terms with a family secret bothering her for years now? Just hope. Keep hoping? And then, Hope welcomes a ray of sunshine. Naina welcomes you to look at life from her perspective. 'Hop’e on!’



As you might have realized from reading the blurb of the book, this is a happy go lucky story. Or is it? To begin with, I loved the characters. Naina, Arjun, Aditya, Ved. My favorite though, has to be Arjun. His protectiveness for his sister and love for his friend is something that every person should achieve. What makes me love the characters is that the author has sketched them very well. You would feel a part of the story through the character graph throughout the book.

Coming to the story. Well, for a one time read was a very sweet story. I, being an avid reader could guess what's coming and how this book is going to end. But having said that, I would like to commend the writer for weaving out such a story in a beautiful way. I finished this book in 3 hours flat and didn't move an inch while I was reading it. This, should be self explanatory.

I love the books where the title is explained in the story. What I mean is, why this book is titled hope and sunshine is mentioned in the book and that makes me happy. I liked the way the author has written the whole book but I'd like to point out a few flaws. To begin with, there were grammar errors and I expected a bit more crispness in the story. At places, I missed a few details here and there which could've made the scenes more vibrant. I could relate to the book in more ways than one and that is why, probably, this book would remain special. All in all, a sweet debut in the form of this book gets 3.5 out of 5 for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment