Tuesday 11 April 2017

Chameleon Lights by Ayushman Jamwal: a review

Certain books are important. Certain books mean a lot. Certain books have the aura around themselves just by the look of it. Chameleon lights by Ayushman Jamwal is all of this and much more. What do you feel when you hear the title of the book? Neon. Would've been my answer. But the paradox lies in the title itself. Done in chic black and minimal designing, this book is much more than what it promises.

According to the blurb- Chameleon lights is a journey of self-discovery. The turbulent passage of love, despair, peace and revelation is played out in twenty poems. The daunting turmoil of youth and human ties; the harmony of conviction and affection; and the eerie, invisible role of Destiny dance through these pages. The poems reflect the rough and unpredictable road to one’s identity- to who we are and what we are capable of. Savour the words and find yourself between the lines.

When I first caught hold of the book, I had a sinking feeling that this book is here to stay and trust me on this and my capability of judging poetry, this book surely does. The play of words from the title to the headings of each poem give in the capacity of the poet. A witty one and a smooth talker, Ayushman’s way with words grips you to the core.

Imagine reading a book that catches every attention of yours and every single emotion that you conceal within yourself. Eerie is the word that well describes the feeling. What makes the book all the more special is the fact that being a part of the team at Kolkata Bloggers and being invited to the launch of the book supported by the Kunwar Viyogi Memorial Trust (in the memory of the poet's grandfather, a Dogri writer), every word stresses on the feelings the poet has himself gone through.

If I speak about the cons of the book then there are very few. Even though loaded with emotions, this book at places fails to tug at the right chord of the reader. Whole some poems feel that they shouldn't end, some still feel unfinished. I would rather have preferred if certain parts of the book were polished up a little. But then, would polishing have given in the feelings the poet wanted to express? Let me leave it up to you. The book for me is 4 out of 5. Waiting, for a lot more to come.

“ When hope turns dark,
I will bring the sun to light it,
I shall guide, protect thee,
For I am the human spirit.”

The poet writes… I say, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment