Thursday 28 March 2019

Dead to Them by Smita Bhattacharya: a review

This book had me at thriller.  Next, the blurb gave me goosebumps. I agree I took a long time finishing it and an even longer time to write what I felt for the book,  this book is surely there to stay with me. Yes. I'm talking about Smita Bhattacharya's Dead to them.

About the book-Moira Madhwa is the typical young, beautiful and successful urban woman until the day she goes missing. Her friends start looking for her, but quickly realize nothing is as it seems. Moira had kept devastating secrets—secrets that could wreck their lives if revealed. As days roll by, one by one, skeletons tumble out of closets, and each of Moira’s friends’ looks guilty. But did one among them hate her enough to do the worst? A nail-biting, psychological suspense thriller, Dead to Them weaves a web of deception, lies, and paranoia in the city of Mumbai, where every face hides a dark story and uncovering it can lead to disastrous consequences.

See?  Exactly. What might seem a mystery is much more than that. Those who know me would know thriller is my latest forte and this book was a pleasure to read. This does not only have a plot but it has layers enclosed within the safe confines of subplots which mesmerized me as a reader.  A regret that I'll always have is not reading this book at a stretch because of which I had to struggle to keep the feel of the book with me.

Having said that,  once I finished this roller coaster, it challenged me psychologically.  Deception, lies and everything that is mentioned in the blurb actually happens in the book in a way that you might feel it is happening right next to you. Coming to the narrating style,  this book was a crisp read so the narration had to be quick and on its toes. Yes, at certain parts it failed but there were some that amazed me to another level.

Coming to the cons, having read this book I know what the potential of the author is. Sharpening it a bit and another round of proofreading would have made this an amazing experience. All in all, this awesomeness deserves a 3.5 out of 5 from me. Looking forward to reading more from the author.  

No comments:

Post a Comment