Monday 28 May 2018

Mother in the Presence of the Sacred Feminine by Rajesh Talwar's: a review

Usually what happens for me to read any book is that I have to be attracted to what the back blurb has to say about it. But this case was different. Here, I was attracted to the very title of the book and then I went on to the blurb. Rajesh Talwar’s Mother in the Presence of the Sacred Feminine. I know, right! You have a smile and want to know what's in the book too. So here's the blurb and of course the cover, for all you people.



About the book- This little volume contains the words of the Mother Goddess as heard by a disciple during a visit to Her holy shrine in northern India. The Goddess addressed eight devotees who were together in a cave towards the end of their pilgrimage while She gave them Her darshan. She spake with them as a group but also addressed those present individually. In the gathering were present a Merchant, an Aged Man, a Childless Couple, a Prostitute, a Scientist, an Artist and a Seeker. She spoke for as little as two minutes the time allotted for the darshan yet miraculously Her words were heard all at once like a symphony in which the music is one organic whole but the notes played by each individual instrument can be picked up, if attention is paid.

This 107 page book reflects on life in so many lines than one. Reminds me of the time back in ages when I had gone with my family for a trip to Vaishno Devi. Somehow things weren't right. I and my brother made the first walk super fast and we waited at Adhkuwari for a longer time than it should be for our family members. Then, they took the rest of the climb while I and my brother couldn't really make it. We went half way but couldn't see the Goddess. Was it that, it wasn't her calling? Does she really call her devotees? Will I ever go back again. Of course I will.

Post completion of the book, you are sure to feel a renewed sense of energy as the devotees who the Goddess speaks to, feels. The devotees are from various factors of life and that is probably one more reason why you will feel connected to the book at first go. The book combines myth and truth perfectly. All the major myths about Vaishno Devi are brushed off again for the people who already had heard about it and for the people who are yet to know.

But is the truth really said? From the myth's perspective, I felt that the truths mentioned are completely a point of view of the author. Of the rise and rise of Vaishno Devi to Bhairon Nath, everything is explained. Throughout the journey that you make, in this short compilation, you can feel the journey to rejuvenation. Easy language and good flow adds up to all the more reason you would read the book.

For the cons, understanding the fact that the book is a nonfiction, spiritual, I would have preferred, personally for the author to write more on the pain and the hurdles the devotees have to cross on their way up to Vaishno Devi. It is explained, why but it is not explained how. For the people who have visited, the picturization is clear. But for the ones who haven't, they would have to rely on the stereotypes that they must've heard about the arduous journey. Which not always is true. For the book, I would've wanted to read a bit more. Looking forward to more from the author, this book is a 4 on 5 for me. 

1 comment: