Sunday 19 February 2017

Music Diaries: Crow Swan Wolf album review


To begin with, THANK YOU. It has just been a few weeks that I have started this endeavor and I am already international! I couldn't be happier with the number of views and messages that I have been getting all this while and I hope that I would be able to do justice to the whole endeavor, not disappointing any of you. 

With the wonderful success of all these weeks, here's my next post. This time, I review the to be released album of They called him Zone that is thoughtfully titled "Crow Swan Wolf". 


The music of They Called Him Zone combines sultry electronica with chewed-up, modulated guitars evoking rain-drenched, neon-daubed streets, proscribed chemicals, and black-clad malcontents wearing mirror shades after dark. And it’s always dark where they come from. 

Formed in Bradford, UK in 2016 the band is Mik Davis (vocals, programming) and Steve Maloney (guitar, programming, vocals). Live they are joined onstage by John Bradford, who performs on keyboards and percussion. Their approach combines a love of post-punk abrasiveness and electronic experimentation with a pop sensibility, albeit one at the darker end of the spectrum.


Speaking of the album, this combines the best of what they have already done till date. As I listen to the tracks which is all set to release on 20th February 2017, I can't help but put my music player to repeat mode. The heavy music that starts the songs brings you to the groove as the dark lyrics takes you to a different world. I wouldn't be lying if I say that my favorite track from the whole album is "Wish you were here..." I am sure that once you listen to the tracks, you would be saying the same thing. "Only you" being my second favorite.

What if I tell you that the lyrics of all the 6 songs of the album gets to the back of your mind whenever you listen to them? Their bio says that it contains modulated guitars which evokes rain drenched, neon daubed streets and I would second them there. Their music takes you back to the time when you go on a trip, high and all you remember is darkness with neon bulbs flashing all over. Your body starts to sway. Mik and Steve have done a commendable job on the whole album, programming it. The trip of this album is addictive so be careful that you don't get high with the songs. Once it releases, please listen to it and don't forget to let me know how you found it.

Goes without saying, if you are a musician and you want to speak about music or get featured here, get in touch with me at vanyasnotebook@outlook.com. I would be more than happy to talk to you and discuss music with you. If you think that there are things about music that you know and would want to share with the whole world, don't forget to leave me a message. To help me with my endeavor, do not forget to share the post. If you have come up with a music album and would want me to review it before release or for that matter, after release, I am always there. Also, if there is a music launch and you want me to cover it (especially if it is in Kolkata, India) I am there. For the people outside Kolkata, give me the details of the launch and I would cover it for you. For the rest, as I always say, let your soul be musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment