Saturday 27 August 2016

The speaking ghost of Rajpur by Priyonkar Dasgupta: a review

I have no clue how to start this post. When I heard the title of the book I had something in mind, when I read the blurb, I read something else. When I held the book for the first time in my hand, then my feelings were completely different and finally when I completed reading, I didn't have words. How you felt about the book, I'll let you as a reader decide that. For now, I would like to share with you what the blurb of the book has to offer.

According to the blurb-It is India of early 1990’s – the ‘picturesque’ small-town of Rajpur is in ‘full summer bloom’ and there is a definite sense of mystery in the air. Amidst its scenic setting each year a group of boys band together to spend their summer vacations – going cycling to far-off forests, sharing books, discussing everything under the sky and ogling at girls. But as youth would have it, their curious minds are more inclined to seek adventure and (hopefully!) uncover some mysterious affair. However, unlike their previous vain attempts, this time certain unusual events and the sudden appearance of a curious case of a ghost in their midst seem to hold the promise of some real adventure. In the pages of The Speaking Ghost of Rajpur rest assured you will soon be whisked off and plunged into a headlong journey of adventure and romance of your own – on a path of discovery of friendship and brotherhood, of life and love – and, who knows, you might even get to encounter the Speaking Ghost itself!

I would like to first comment on the cover of the book. Everything kept aside, the cover of the book gave me a very happy go lucky, comic feel that extends to being a horror story too. Now, when I started reading the book I loved the prologue. It was very interesting to read and note and I really liked the descriptions given there.

Coming to the story,  an interestingly woven plot it is wonderful the way the characters rule the story. With pre distinct characters with its specified time frame, it is not many people who can write this well in such a book. Who doesn't love stories? I do. And the best part of the story is the fact that it is for all. People of all ages would love to read the story and know about the speaking ghost.

Speaking of the speaking ghost, the weird part of the whole thing is the fact that as you keep reading the story, the story of the speaking ghost loses its importance and you get engrossed in what the characters are up to. I'll not say much here and leave it up to you to read the story.

Speaking of the cons, I would say that the book wasn't well presented. I expected a lot more from the book but was presented with a lot less. There wasn't any grammatical error as such but with such an interesting premise, I expected something more crisp in the narration. A one time read and expecting a lot from the author in the future, I give this book 3.75 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment