Saturday 26 November 2016

Colorful notions- the roadtrippers 1.0 by Mohit Goyal: a review

Happy are those who go On a road trip. Super happy are those who go on a road trip with their friends. I love knowing about travel stories and have a lot of traveller buddies. So when I heard about Mohit Goyal's Colorful notions- the roadtrippers 1.0, I couldn't help but get my hands on it. The blurb of the book made me hook to it more. So as I sit and admire the cover of the book which successfully retains the flavor of it, here's the blurb of the book.

Acording to the blurb- Would you give up your high paying job and comfortable personal life to drive ten thousand kilometers across India? Just for fun! Three twenty somethings dare to do just that! While the two boys take turns to drive, the girl gives voice over as they record their entire journey on a handy cam. Ab, Sasha and Unnati are ordinary youngsters, rendered special by the feat they accomplish. As they recount their adventures, I crave to live their journey. They look at each other with a glint in their eyes, as if refurbishing those memories while narrating their spooky time at Bhangarh Fort, strange escapades at Wagah Border and Sundarbans, car breakdowns, wild animals, near death experiences and highway robbers! It's nothing less than crazy. I doubted if I'd ever have the gumption to create such experiences. So I did the next big thing- I penned a book about them, and their roadtrip. Colorful notions is a journey of three young hearts on the Indian terrain and into the inner recesses of their souls, giving a new perspective to relationships, love and life.

To begin with, I would give in to this being a very interesting way of writing the blurb and that surely hooks the readers. Now the cover. Basically in bright blue with sketches of the car and three friends make for a super complementary cover for the book. The book starts off very interestingly and that is why we can carry on with the book.

Having read the whole book now I would say that this book is a traveler's delight. Written in a very on the face narrative, matching the blurb where it really feels like someone is addressing the reader and telling us a story; this book should be read by people who plan on going for a road trip. Coming to the story. The story has it all. Friendship, love, jealousy, food, fun, adventure, horror and comedy. Making this a packed entertainer.

I liked the characters and their formation. They have been well thought of and very similar to real life. The intricacies are well thought of and executed. If I have to speak about the cons of the book then I would say that the book needed finesse. This in its current form is only suitable for the travel loving people but for me, I felt that this could have well been a book for all kinds of readers.

The narration could've been better with plot twists, if possible. Especially since it's fiction. That apart, I don't find any other flaw in the book. Looking forward to more from the author, this book is 3.75 out of 5 for me.

PS-  This book was given to me by The Tales Pensive book reviews  programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment