Thursday 4 August 2016

Secretly Yours by Vikrant Khanna: a review

With a very interesting cover and a title which is eye ball grabbing, the third book by Vikrant Khanna, Secretly Yours is surely a head turner. I loved the way the title of the book has been spiced up with the sub title that says “what if you could read the mind of the person you love?” The blurb of the book, when I read it, piqued my interest more in the book like never before. I would take a minute here to say that I had read the author previously and even reviewed Love Lasts Forever (his second book), making me have a lot of expectation  from the book. I would first give you a glimpse of the blurb of the book and then tell you about my feelings for the book.

According to the blurb- Everyone has secrets... But is hers the most shocking? Orphaned at birth, seventeen-year-old Sahil has always blamed himself for his parents’ death. He has little interest in life until he meets the enigmatic Anya in a chance encounter during the Shimla fest. He soon falls head over heels in love with her, but Anya doesn’t reciprocate his feelings. An accident leaves Sahil in a coma, and when he wakes up, he makes a startling discovery- he can read minds! Now, he can find out what goes on in Anya’s head and maybe, just maybe, make her fall in love with him. But is Anya all that she seems? Or is she hiding something? Deliciously plotted and full of startling revelations, Secretly Yours will make you question what you see and whom you trust.

The first thing that attracted me towards the book has to be the title of the book. There is something in the title that is sure to make every reader stop for a while and pick up the book. At first glance probably this book might seem to be just another book but do not be fooled. You would need to read it to know what exactly the book is all about. The story is something that would surely keep you guessing till the time the author wants you to understand what it is all about and that is something that I really liked about the book.

When I talk about the story I have to mention that working with a concept is a very tricky thing, especially for an author. You cannot pick up a concept at random and then incorporate it. To think of it, I guess the execution of the concept is something that really matters. Having said that, I would like to compliment the author on picking up such a tricky subject and bringing it to the readers- all the while executing it wonderfully. I will not disclose the concept here because that would be unfair to the wonderfully written book but I am sure it is much more than what meets the eye.

Narrated in the eyes of Sahil, I would say that the flow of the writing and the narration was smooth. There couldn’t have been a better narration to the story. Now, coming to the characters of the story. There are many characters to the story but all of their timings are well defined and they have the perfect end and beginning time in the story. The way things progress in the book, it seems that everything was meant to be. I would also like to mention here that I am really impressed by the way the author has improved in the course of his writing which is very evident in this book.


The way the situations have been dealt, the course of the story, the way it takes shape- everything is nicely plotted or if I quote the blurb here “deliciously plotted”.  At the end of the book, I smiled and that is not something that I do after every other book. If I have to speak of the cons of the book then I have to say that there were very few. The major con of the book which I felt is that, even though the title of the book is very attractive- does it really mean something to the book? The blurb and the sub title are about a very small portion of the book and even though it might attract many people, it might also not appeal to a few set of readers. Apart from that, as I always say with all books that I like- a bit more would do no harm. All said and done, this is a must read not to miss book and I would rate it 4.75 out of 5. Looking forward to many more from the author.

PS-This review is a part of the biggest BookReview Program for Indian Bloggers.Participate now to get free books!

No comments:

Post a Comment